Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Tuesday, January 20


Project 365:
TO MY BOYLIES:
This photo took my breath away when I viewed it for the first time on my monitor. It is obviously not a technically beautiful photo but I love the meaning and symbolism it shows. I captured our little family photo along with a TV shot of the first dance at the Neighborhood Inaugural Ball. Beyonce' sang "At Last" which was perfectly fitting given that President Barack Obama is the first African American President. The first. You don't quite comprehend the significance of this day, mainly due to your age. But, one day I hope you look back on this day and wonder "What was the big deal of Barack Obama becoming president? Was race really a big issue in 2008?" --- I hope this is the last presidential election that we will ever address race as an issue in an election.

I (along with most of the people of Hawaii) am so proud to have a "local boy" elected as President. Being raised in Hawaii is undoubtedly a significant facet of Barack's upbringing and certainly helped mold him into the man that he is. Mayor Mufi Hannemann recalls JFK stating "Hawaii is what the rest of the world is striving to become." Boys--Hawaii is amazing. Not just because it is a beautiful island, but because the people are. The Aloha Spirit, which is the spirit of love- the spirit of service - the spirit of acceptance--is still very much alive here.

When your father and I discussed marriage, deciding where we would live was a critical aspect of our decision. We were concerned about the impact that our interracial marriage would have on you, our future kids. We knew that we could handle any bias that came our way but we were very concerned about the burden and impact that it would have on you as you developed. Did you know that my psych degree included an emphasis in intercultural studies? I spent many many months researching scientific journals and articles to determine which aspects were most influential in the development of a healthy interracial and intercultural self-concept. Do you know what I found to be one of the most significant aspects? Not a stable family, although that is important. Not the education level of parents. Not religious conviction. Not prosperity. It is...Community. Living in a culturally diverse community where the majority of its occupants are interracial was the most influential aspect. Interracial children need positive interracial adult role models and examples of successful interracial life. They also need to be among peers with whom they share such similarities. Interesting, eh? (If you would like to know more about my research, please ask to read my senior thesis. I would be flattered.) Guess where some of the most diverse countries on the planet were back in 1995? You guessed it-Brazil and Hawaii (Yes, I know Hawaii isn't a country but our geographical borders makes us feel isolated enough that it is reasonable to categorize us as such.)

Deciding on Hawaii was a no brainer. -- You are thriving in Hawaii. Being an interracial kid here is the norm. It is hard to make generalized stereotypes here because people are so diverse and multi-faceted. But in reality, aren't all people multi-faceted? Hawaii teaches us to look at people's hearts--their character. MLK hoped that one day his children would be judged by the content of their character and not by the color of their skin. Here in Hawaii--we are living his dream. It is not perfect here--but for our family, it is the closest thing to perfect we could find.

I know this is a lot to take in--but it is our family history. It is part of what makes us who we are. Today seemed the perfect day to share a bit of your interracial"ness". I know that this is something that we rarely discuss. Not that I wouldn't love to discuss such issues with you and hear your opinions. You know I LOOOOVE conversations such as this. :) It's just that, at least for now, it's a non-issue. -- I hope one day you will realize what a blessing that is. :)

I love you! Mom

Gratitude Journal:
Keenan: Playing with my friends at school.
Valu: I started piano lessons today and I love it.
Mom: Inspired by President Obama's inaugural speech and the call to take personal responsibility in our country's quest for change. Hmmm! What can I do to serve my community?
Dad: Grateful that I discovered Sling so that I could watch the episodes of 24 that I missed.--Jack is always responsible for the hundreds of thousands of lives that are ALWAYS at stake.

2 comments:

wgp said...

Heather, It's Margaret, here in Portland. I just read your blog, it's simply wonderful! So fun to see your boys, Ki, everyone. We have such precious memories with you there. Hawaii is still my favorite place on earth. Wayne and I yearn for it sometimes. It's hard to imagine w/out Dawn and Ryan there too. I loved getting to know you better when you opened your home to me while awaiting Maile. I hope we connect again someday. Your family is a treasure to ours!

Anonymous said...

This was very well stated. Beautiful photo, beautiful message. Thank you!