Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Blue Bubbles

Saturday, August 8, 2009

As we walked along the beach tonight we came across thousands of Blue Bubbles. Our beautiful sandy beach was littered with them. Luckily, the ones that wash up on our shore are only an inch or two long. They may be small but the sting of the tentacles are MIGHTY.

This bright blue boy is one of the largest I have ever seen. A good 3 inches long. I wish I would have put something near it for comparison.


Look at the long tentacle on this one. That baby could wrap around a body, twice. OUCH!


We tried to avoid stepping on them--but there were so many we couldn't help it.
We knew when we stepped on one because we would hear a pop. A pop like the one you hear when you pop plastic bubble wrap.


You can see they follow the outline of where the waves washed them up on the shore.
I wonder if their presence has anything to do with Hurricane Felicia that is heading directly to us? (Edited: Felicia was downgraded to a tropical depression by the time she hit our island, Wed.)


The sky was magic this evening. Seeing pink in the sky makes me giddy.

Gratitude Journal:
Keenan: Grateful for a day with my dad.
Valu: Grateful that we didn't go swimming after-all.
Mom: Grateful for our beautiful sunsets. I will never tire of their majesty.
Dad: Grateful for walks along the beach with my family.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ok, I have to comment here because blue bubbles give me chills. I can't tell you how many times I have been stung by those! Awesome sunset. I miss Hawaii. And I miss you guys!