Friday, May 15
...I did...Big Time!
I wasn't anticipating a stressful day. I just brought my camera along to snap some candids for our friends wedding. I told Erin that I would just be in the background taking shots of family and friends. As the wedding was about to start the lady standing next to me said, "I hear you are quite the photographer." I say, " You must have me mixed-up with another friend, I am a newbie, a complete amateur." She says, "No. Erin told me that you have some amazing pictures on your walls at home and that she was excited to have you take some similar for her." I freak-out : "NO What?! I didn't take those photos. An amazing PROFESSIONAL took those....." The lady says, "Well, she certainly thinks highly of your abilities." My belly starts to churn a bit. Erin isn't supposed to have any expectations of my photography skills. Just because I am friends with a an amazing photographer certainly does not mean I can take photos like her. Sheesh.
Well, this is where the nerves took over. I completely forgot everything that I have been learning. When I snapped my first picture and realized that the blazing sun was casting shadows all over the wedding party--I lost it. I tried to fill the shadows with my flash--but it was just too harsh. I increased my exposure--TOO MUCH! My knees began to shake. I tried the ol' auto mode but the bright sun was causing a funky back light which under-exposed the bride and groom's faces. When I finally got them into some blessed shade, my blunders had me in such a bundle of nerves that I forgot to change my settings. All of my photos were over-exposed and blurry. Blurry--due to my nervous shaking hands. --- I felt like I was in a nightmare. My online instructor said that my photos will become worse as I try to assimilate all that I am learning. She certainly was NOT exaggerating!
This experience taught me several things. One: I have a lot to learn! Two: Don't think that you can innocently bring a camera to a wedding. People see a DSLR camera and expect that you know what you are doing. Ha!! Three: I never want to be a professional photographer. Too much pressure!!
One of the VERY few pictures that is somewhat in focus.
Erin, Baby Heather and John.
This is what most of the photos look like.
This is probably what they will do to me when they see the photos that I took of them.
Gratitude Journal:
Keenan: Grateful that I could swim in the pool.
Valu: Grateful that I got out of school early to go to the wedding.
Mom: I forget how much I love weddings. There is such hope and sacredness when a couple makes a vow of commitment to each other. Pulled at my heart strings.
Dad: Grateful to be John's best man. He is a great friend. I love him like a brother.




No comments:
Post a Comment