Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Lei Giving...A Wonderful Tradition

Sunday, May 17

Ki is the stake clerk. Which means that when he attends ward conferences he is usually adorned with a beautiful lei. I love the symbolism behind the giving of a lei. This beautiful lei was obviously made with much love and aloha. Notice the unique yellow husks, I have never seen anything like it. I can't imagine how long it took to gather this amount of puakenikeni. The sewing of the clusters alone, must have been very time consuming. This fragrant flower is extremely delicate and the petals bruise with the slightest touch. The flowers were hardly bruised even after 4 hrs of wear. Whoever made this...took great care. I got a bit misty-eyed as I realized the love that created this masterpiece. Of course the maker was anonymous--but I uttered a prayer of gratitude in her/his behalf. This generous act of lei making left me in a state of awe. 
Gratitude Journal:
Keenan: Grateful that I could give a talk in Primary.
Valu: Grateful for an evening of fun.
Mom: Grateful for the delightful fragrance that the puakenikeni lei has infused in our home.
Dad: Grateful for the amazing people that I get to serve with in our stake.

No comments: